5 Things to be Thankful For Every Single Day
It’s easy to get caught up in the spirit of thankfulness during the month of November, with everyone we know recalling all of the reasons that they are thankful. It’s a great time of the year, and I love seeing all of the things that my friends are appreciative of in their lives. It always reminds me of what I have to be thankful for too.
More often than I’d like to admit, (especially when it’s not November) it’s easy for my circumstances to overshadow my blessings. So here are some things that you can be thankful for every day, regardless of the circumstances in your life.
- You’re alive. It’s an obvious one, but it still counts! And honestly, I really dislike when people tell me “you should be thankful, it could be worse!”because yes, of course it could be worse. But this is one thing that we should always remember to give thanks for, that we are still here with our families, and that we were given another day to raise our babies.
- You have a warm, safe place to sleep at night. Maybe it’s smaller than you’d like, or it needs new furniture or a paint job, but there are so many people in the world who don’t even have that.
- The Earth is still spinning. Even when you’re stressed about your kids, fighting with your spouse, or fighting an illness… the world still moves. Life goes on. You will get through whatever you’re fighting through at this moment.
- You live in a country where you have indoor plumbing and hot showers. So on days when you feel overwhelmed with all of the responsibilities that come with living in such a wealthy country and all of the pressures we live with, just remember… we also get hot showers and indoor toilets.
- You are loved. You are loved by someone, somewhere on this planet. It could be your spouse, your parents, your children, or your friend. And even if by some chance you aren’t loved by any one of those people, you are loved by an awesome God that made you to be just the way you are.
These things are true regardless of what you’re struggling with today. They are true when the future seems unstable and the present is volatile. When political tensions are running high and ugliness is spreading left and right.
When you feel unsure of what your next steps are and what the right choices are for decisions you need to make, remember what you have to be thankful for. All of the things that are so simple that we often forget that we are even blessed enough to have them.
“If you woke up this morning with more health than illness, you are more blessed than the million who won’t survive the week.
If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 20 million people around the world.
If you attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death, you are more blessed than almost three billion people in the world.
If you have food in your refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep, you are richer than 75% of this world.
If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace, you are among the top 8% of the world’s wealthy.
If your parents are still married and alive, you are very rare, especially in the United States.
If you can read this message, you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read anything at all.”
Be thankful for every little thing, and you’ll find yourself being more appreciative for the big things.
What is something that you can always be thankful for?