Be the Blessing

Be the Blessing

This time of year always puts two particular subjects on my heart, that I feel my family and I need improving on. Acknowledging how blessed we are and being more giving to others.

How lucky are we, being stay at home momma’s?! Seriously, there are mommy’s who want so badly to be able to stay at home but they can’t for whatever reason. And I do not know about you ladies, but I am speaking on behalf of myself, I complain way more than I should about being home. “UGH they have drove me nuts today, they wont stop fighting!” “I just need a break Grant (my clingy 2 year) hasn’t let me have a moment to myself all day!” Those are just some of the thoughts that come to mind when I tell you I complain.

It is hard staying home, I am not saying it isn’t. We do need breaks and I will be the first to say that some days I do need that moment to pee alone or you’ll find me in a fetal position crying in the shower that night, it’s happened. I’m saying that, I am the last one who will point and say you aren’t being grateful, if I did there are 4 fingers pointing back at me. But this time of year you see more heart breaking commercials about the kids at Moffit with cancer or at my mommy group I’ll hear about them gathering toys for the orphanage and I just stop and think “Man how blessed am I”.

Am I rich; NO. Do I have it all together; No. Am I stress free with no worries; NO. What I do have is a loving husband who makes sure we never go without, two sweet little boys that are happy and healthy, a roof over our heads and food on the table. God is so good! I hate it, but more often than not it takes us seeing the bad to realize how good we do have it.

I am so ashamed sometimes, my kids have it so good, if they want something they more often than not get it from either my husband and I or their grandparents. My mom especially spoils them, which isn’t particularly a bad thing, till you hear your 4 year old walk up to her and say “what other presents did you get me?” after just opening his awesome new Blaze monster truck. Let me just say we have never went over board, we do not have a lot of money so if I go uptown and I’m at a store and see something they would really like I get it but granted it is usually a consignment store or dollar tree that I am purchasing from. I do that often so I am 75% of the problem (I’ll give the other 25% to my mom since she really knows how to give the awesome presents).

So when Thanksgiving and especially Christmas roll around I feel just awful for the simple fact that they could care less about being more of a giver than a receiver. I know they are kids still and that's what kids do, but I want to make sure that they understand that there are people out there, kids even, that do not have even the simple necessity of food provided for them. I want my kids to grow up with a compassion for the children that didn’t grow up with the blessing of parents.

This year I found a calendar that will give us a thing to do each day with the kids, things like making a card for a solider, opening the door for someone, pick up litter, make cookies for a neighbor, donate a toy to charity, give a hug and things like that. Something feasible for a 2 and 4 year old, but will teach them a little more about giving to others, or so I am it hoping it will.

So make sure to be thankful for all you have each and everyday. No matter how horrible you think you have it, there is always someone who has it worse. Be the blessing in the world and raise your children to be a blessing, you’ll truly be amazed at how big their little hearts can be when they understand how much they are helping others.

What! You’re Pregnant Again!

What! You’re Pregnant Again!

The Secret Life of a Special Needs Mom

The Secret Life of a Special Needs Mom